Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Microphone check, 1, 2, what is this? R.I.P. Phife Dawg

As I was sleeping this morning, I was awoken by a text at 7:47 am that simply read, "NOOOOOOO!!!" followed by a link to the Rolling Stone article that Phife Dawg had died. Still groggy, I read it and was quickly filled with sadness. A big part of my life as a hip-hop head had passed away. A Tribe Called Quest is as important to me as a hip-hop fan and a music fan in general as anyone else. And now the hope of one last album or one last reunion tour was gone.

My first experience with A Tribe Called Quest was their classic single, "Bonita Applebaum." But that song was all Q-Tip. It was his voice, his sample, his production, his vibe, it just screamed Q-Tip. And I was hooked. But then "Scenario" came out a year later and while everyone was hyped over Busta Rhymes' guest verse to close out that song, it was Phife that grabbed my attention with his opening line, "Yo, Bo knows this and Bo knows that/But Bo don't know jack, 'cause Bo can't rap." He grabbed the Bo Knows ad campaign, which was everywhere at the time, and turned it on its head. I loved Phife from that time forward.

Q-Tip's fingerprints have always been all over ATCQ's music and his influence for their sound was no more evident than their debut album, People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm. But when they dropped their second album in 1991, The Low End Theory, Phife had emerged as an equal on the mic to Tip. He opens up "Buggin' Out" with the classic line, "Microphone check, 1, 2 what is this?" and continues to deliver memorable line after memorable line over the course of the album. And it was clear that Tribe couldn't exist without Phife.

Tribe would go on to release five albums over their 8-year tenure, with their first three being their best work - all classics. Creative differences and personal beef among Q-Tip and Phife would lead to the group's breakup which was a very sad day for hip-hop. I think of Jay-Z's line "First the Fat Boys breakup" and the impact that had on hip-hop and for me I'd sub out Fat Boys (who I also loved) with Tribe. Not having these two MCs together anymore just didn't feel right. While both would release solo work, it just didn't work for me as I would always want to hear them trading verses. Now, that won't ever happen again. If they have any unreleased tracks anywhere or b-sides, I can only hope they release them so we can get some "new" Tribe music.

Phife Dawg was a vital member of one of the greatest hip-hop groups to ever do it. And now he's gone. I'm listening to Low End Theory while typing this and I'm sad again. It's weird to hear Phife rhyming and know he's gone. Phife will be missed. Thank you Phife for so many great memories. From the crazy eyes in the "Buggin' Out" video, the rides in my brother's car blasting Midnight Marauders on cassette to your guest spot on the Fu-Schnicken's "La Schmoove." Your voice has been with me for 26 years and will live on forever. R.I.P. to the 5-foot Assassin.

1 comment:

  1. Hi can you contact me? and delete this comment after?

    niki@publicenemy.com

    ReplyDelete